Tuesday 14 August 2012

The Summer Impact


The Summer has had a huge impact on my photography, or lack of it should I say. I've found myself working hard to try and pay my rent over the summer, repair some of the damage done to my bank balance. Often working 12hour days in a very busy bar & restaurant, photography has taken second place, and most days I am left so exhausted from work, photography & the editing process is the last thing on my mind, instead I crave relaxation before the next long day.

I've also found myself finding the fast paced press events less enjoyable to work. It all feels too rushed.  I'm not living in a dream world where I think I will be able to survive off documentary work alone. I know I will be forced to take press or commercial jobs if I want to earn some pennies to support documentary work, but I havn't been enjoying press jobs recently, and I dont want photography to become a chore to me. For this reason I still haven't edited my images I took at the start of June at Peugeot & Citroen. Every time I try I just don't know where to begin, get frustrated and get nowhere. I need time, without worries, stress and tiredness from work, and the help of a couple of my close friends to edit the images.

I did dust off my camera when I went up to London last week, I wanted to be able to just enjoy photography again. I'm not fond of London, or cities in general for that matter having grown up in the countryside, but i thought with some fresh surroundings I could really get into shooting away. I struggled, I often felt like a stereotypical tourist walking around with my Nikon and rarely wanted to bring the camera to my eye. 19 frames in 3 hours and I tucked my camera away in my camera bag feeling a little dejected by my own lack of enthusiasm.


'The Long Water, Hampton Court Palace, London, 7th August 2012.'
f.22 1/100
 ©Patrick Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment